Graduate Student Newsletter - Week of June 17, 2019
- Call for Proposals: Journal of Comparative and International Education.
- New! FGS is happy to introduce a new Graduate Funding Advising Services Appointment Scheduler, available here: gradstudies.yorku.ca/current-students/student-finances/funding-awards/funding-advising/. Graduate Funding Appointments are short meetings where graduate students can get specific information about their graduate funding package from one of our Graduate Funding Advisors. The new webpage will allow students to directly schedule a one-on-one 30-minute meeting with the advisors using an interactive calendar. While GPAs will remain the first point of contact for students, this new site will streamline the process for students who wish to meet with a Graduate Funding Advisor.
- Reminder: If you have passed your second term and are completing an MRP or Thesis, or if you are a Doctoral student and have passed your sixth term, please be sure to complete a Supervisor & Supervisory Committee Approval form and submit it to the graduate program office immediately. Please find further details on the checklists.
- Reminder: Fall 2019 and Winter 2020 enrollment opened June 4th. Please be sure to check the important dates page for registration and enrollment deadlines.
- FGS’s policy on Graduate Supervision can be found here
- Attention regarding advertisement of final oral exam: Oral exams are normally a public academic event. However, if the student and the supervisor prefer not to have the exam public, they must inform the Graduate Office in Education upon submission of the Recommendation for Oral Examination form.
- Feel free to join our FACEBOOK group and post articles, events and other information that you think is relevant to your fellow students!
- DEADLINE HAS PASSED: The deadline to apply to graduate in June 2019 passed on February 28, 2019.
- The online application to graduate in October 2019 is open. Apply by July 31, 2019 to make sure your application is processed in time.
- Your status will not be projected anywhere online, and we will only contact you directly if there are any issues with your degree audit. Read this “graduate in Oct” attachment for additional important details.
- If you have applied to graduate and have not received an email from us during the audit process, you are all set to attend convocation and must go to the Convocation Website for further information on next steps and how to R.S.V.P.
- If you are enrolled in Summer courses: Kindly inform the course director that you have applied to graduate, and that your final grade (this can be an interim grade) will need to be submitted by the April FGS deadline in order for you to convocate in June. The sooner you inform the course director, the sooner we can work together on getting your final grade posted on time.
- If you are requesting to graduate with a Diploma be sure to follow the steps outlined in the “graduate in Oct” (here is "convocation-diploma" form mentioned in the attachment).
Resources and Updates
- Graduate Program Calendar: http://edu.yorku.ca/graduate-program-calendar/
- Understanding your student account: The following link takes you through an overview that has been developed to assist you in navigating the various financial processes relevant to graduate studies. It is divided into 3 primary categories accessible through the tabs on the page.
- Reminder for submission of all forms and to ensure they are accepted and processed:
- Students are fully responsible for the download, completion, and submission of forms to their graduate program. Students must attach any correspondence that supports their request at the time of submission.
- The Graduate Program in Education (GPE) office is unable to accept any incomplete forms, so be sure to have all required signatures (emails in lieu of) and required documentation in a complete package before submitting (hardcopy or email) any forms.
4. Graduate Program in Education Grad Student Guidebook: can be found on our site under current students/graduate
Events, Conferences and Workshops
- Reminder: Vanier Scholarship: Interested students should submit the required preliminary application materials from the Vanier CGS page on the FGS website by Thursday June 27, 2019 at 4pm to be considered for a Vanier nomination. FGS will then assess the submitted documents and inform applicants on or around July 26, 2019 as to whether or not they have advanced to the full application stage. For details of the York nomination processes, please refer to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship page on the FGS website. You are also welcome to contact Yuko Sorano, Research Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 44168.
- Please also note that this year, the Trudeau nomination process will be launched at a later date.
- 2019 Multidisciplinary Approaches in Language Policy and Planning Conference at OISE, August 22–24, 2019 • Click here for preliminary program.
- Dissertation Defence: Lucille Angus' upcoming oral examination • Title: Ask Again: A Novel Experiment in Early Childhood Knowledge Relations through a Phenomenological Study of Claims on the Thinking Child's Words and Development • Date: Monday, August 26, 2019 at 10:30 am • Location: 283B Winters College
- Brock University is hiring contract faculty for the following courses:
- LING 3P71 - Syntax • Course description from 2019-2020 undergraduate calendar found here https://brocku.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/brocku_careers/job/St-Catharines-Main-Campus/Instructor-Half-Course-LING-3P71-Winter-D3_JR-1002500
- LING 4P27 - Assistive Listening Devices and Aural Rehabilitation https://brocku.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/brocku_careers/job/St-Catharines-Main-Campus/Instructor-Half-Course-LING-4P27-Fall-D2_JR-1002568
Please note: Information regarding employment opportunities is provided for your information only. York University does not pre-screen, review, endorse or approve employers or employment/volunteer opportunities, and is not responsible for any of the hiring processes or positions. If you have any questions about positions, please work with the employer directly.